content, format, ctype, or xtype ?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon May 4 07:49:17 PDT 2009

Surely we don't need another inscrutable meta-meta-concept?!?  What is
different about this and Norman's idea?

	http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/latest/utype-uri.html

It looks like the phrasing "explicit method" from Norman's quoting of
the VOTable specification was itself later replaced with a more
explicit example, but the underlying concept remains that a utype
might denote a specific representational method.  "I am STC-S", not
just "I am STC" - or "I am a restricted subset of ISO-8601", not "some
might refer to me as a time-like quantity".  Heck section 4.5 even
mentions STC:

	http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/WD/VOTable/VOTable-20080914.html#ToC29

At some point all this data modeling has to engage with the real
world.  If utypes aren't where that happens, what's the point of 'em?
Is there an advantage to pedantically having to say "I am a time-like
quantity" in addition to "I am expressed as ISO-8601", when the latter
always implies the former?

Why not a single enumerated vocabulary of utypes that includes a
modest list of useful variations?

Rob
---