[TAP] PROPOSAL: case sensitivity

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Fri Mar 13 09:16:53 PDT 2009

It has been pretty silent for the last week, so here is my 2c:

On 2009-03-06 11:27:18 Patrick Dowler wrote:
> * summary of where we are with respect to case of catalog, schema, table,
> and column names:
>
> - the current draft doesn't really commit, but says clients should preserve
> the case of these names (as found in the metadata); I don't see any reason
> this won't work, but it is a rule/complexity for clients

I think we could recommend this as a reasonable practice (for clients) that is
easy to follow and will likely reduce problems in the real world

> - ADQL specifies that these names are not case sensitive; some RDBMS
> implementations are case sensitive
>
> - TAP could be used with other query languages with different rules w.r.t.
> case

I think we have to allow the query language specify this behaviour. Anything
else will just lead to confusion when the ADQL spec says one thing and the
TAP spec says another.

PROPOSAL: modify the current draft to defer to the language spec on case
sensitivity

On 2009-03-06 11:27:20 Patrick Dowler wrote:
> * summary of where we are with respect to case sensitive (or not)
> evaluation of comparisons with character data in columns:
>
> - ADQL (SQL) is clearly case sensitive with respect to comparison operators

> - TAP could be used with other query languages with different rules w.r.t.
> case sensitivity of comparison operators

This one seems more clear since all use cases can still be accomplished and it
is up to the query writer to do so.

* PROPOSAL: As above, we defer to the language spec

Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2M7

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7