[TAP] case sensitivity of query -- schema names

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Fri Mar 6 11:27:18 PST 2009

* summary of where we are with respect to case of catalog, schema, table, and
column names:

- the current draft doesn't really commit, but says clients should preserve
the case of these names (as found in the metadata); I don't see any reason
this won't work, but it is a rule/complexity for clients

- if TAP is not case sensitive AND the back end DB is case sensitive with
respect to these names, the services would need to parse the query to find
all references and map them to the correct internal names

- ADQL specifies that these names are not case sensitive; some RDBMS
implementations are case sensitive

- TAP could be used with other query languages with different rules w.r.t.
case

* an observation:

I have seen some claims that implementing an ADQL parser to map the table and
column names would be very difficult. It appears that these claims are coming
from people who have not done such an implementation, while those that have
seem to think it wasn't that hard after all*.  So, all the evidence is to the
contrary: it is not that hard to parse the ADQL and map the names to the
correct internal names.

I would also note that as far as ADQL parsing goes, mapping tables names is
the easy one: the region functions can be much harder (depending on your DB
schema). It has been said many times that we are really misleading people if
we imply that they can implement TAP+ADQL on anything but a real relational
database. Along the same lines and given how devious SQL is, I no longer
think it is plausible to implement without an ADQL parser except maybe in the
simplest case or if the implementor is quite lucky -- but I also don't think
this is much of a technical barrier.

* That was in fact my own experience: I thought it would be hard, found out
that SQL was even more devious than I thought, and yet this particular
problem can be solved pretty easily (as I described the other day).

Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2M7

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7