relative fluxes

Petr Skoda skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz
Tue Jun 16 16:00:00 PDT 2009

> Uhmm, not exactly: a theoretical galaxy spectra can typical of synthesis
> models output be described as "NORMALIZED" by the total mass of the system:
> In this case, it is a NORMALIZED spectra with
> units erg s**-1 A**-1 Msun**-1 (Note that that results are not Fluxes but
> Luminosities... ;)

I am afraid it was my limited inview during my fight for NORMALIZED in
SSAP :-(

I supposed that NORMALIZED will be more acceptable by VO folks in the
sense the spectrum is normalized to the continuum (which is put
by definition  at 1.0) Most astronomers use term RECTIFIED (as the
spectrum is realy looking like straight - horizontal line of continuuum
with superimposed lines ...
But you can see  here the term rectified (geometrical concept) with FLUX
CALIBRATION -
implanting feeling of some measurable with units , little strange.

In principle you can say normalization in the shape of the spectrum not in
the parameters constructing it - but it would return back to the question
of metadata for theoretical spectra (and SSS and databases simDB)

*  Petr Skoda                         Phone : +420-323-649201, ext. 361 *
*  Stellar Department                         +420-323-620361           *
*  Astronomical Institute AS CR       Fax   : +420-323-620250           *
*  251 65 Ondrejov                    e-mail: skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz  *
*  Czech Republic                                                       *