relative fluxes

Miguel Cerviño mcs at iaa.es
Tue Jun 16 15:12:57 PDT 2009

Hello,

> RELATIVE and NORMALIZED fluxes are dimensionless quantities: they are
> an ABSOLUTE flux divided by some reference flux value. Therefore the
> unit should be and empty string.

Uhmm, not exactly: a theoretical galaxy spectra can typical of
synthesis models output be described as "NORMALIZED" by the total mass
of the system: In this case, it is a NORMALIZED spectra with
units erg s**-1 A**-1 Msun**-1 (Note that that results are not Fluxes
but Luminosities... ;)

I agree with no units for RELATIVE  (at least as I understood,  but I
can be wrong)

Any case, as well as tools that extract the possible bibliographic
references from the VOTables that allow astronomer each others, may be
it is also useful tools that allow to extract the UCD and UNIT
information
from the VOTable so, at least, astronomer have the possibility to
acces this information without need to
worry about the VOTable stucture etc...

About other issues:

>> Finally, whatever the outcome, it would be extremely nice if the
>> SpetrumDM + SSA,
>> presumably within an associated note or tutorial,
>> could describe this kind of scenarios and provide suggestions to the
>> diligent but VO-unaware (or even VO-aware, but very much undecided,
>> like me)
>> data providers.
>
> Nice idea - I think there should be some use cases of typical usage
> of different kind of spectra.

Yes :) I think it would be fine (how may I help?)

cheers