[TIMESTAMP] Re: TAP1.0 Comments

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Mon Jul 20 12:36:04 PDT 2009

On Monday 13 July 2009 09:34:30 Francois Ochsenbein wrote:
> 2.3.4 (and other places where ISO8601 is quoted):
>      as far as I know, this norm requires the 'T' in front of the
>      time; the timestamp format should therefore be written
>      "yyyy-MM-dd[Thh:mm:ss[.sss]]" (the 'T' is missing in the document)

A while back we asked around and some RDBMSs do not like the format with the T
in the middle, while all respondents indicated that the one with a space
between date and time could be parsed. The T was dropped from the document so
that timestamp expressions would not have to be parsed and converted (by as
many people, anyway).

If we use the format with T, then more services will have to find, parse, and
re-write timestamp literal values. This is primarily an issue for ADQL, where
there is already plenty of whitespace and queries have to be encoded for
transport anyway...

Thoughts?

Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2M7

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7