[TABLE] Re: TAP1.0 Comments

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Mon Jul 20 12:24:54 PDT 2009

On Thursday 16 July 2009 01:54:02 Gerard wrote:
> It seems to me that whether one requires support for multiple TABLEs
> depends on the query language that is used.
> If the language allows queries that return multiple tables, then TAP should
> support multiple TABLEs to be returned, but in a single VOTable.
> Currently, if I am not mistaken, ADQL does not support such queries, and
> neither does PQL (correct?).

This is correct. A legal ADQL query will not produce multiple tables. Since
PQL is under development, it could in principle (and either could in future)
be extended so that it could produce multiple TABLEs. The wording of this
section should probably be improved to make it clear that this is not a TAP
limitation per se, but rather just an indication of what current languages
actually do.

I think it is important to recall that TAP is  a relatively low-level protocol
and that the returned results should be as specified by the query. I have
considered a variety of fancy things one could do to the results (values
computed from column values, but outside the db, adding extra columns I think
the user might want, etc) and they all turn out to be really bad ideas that
will probably break whatever the user is trying to do.

On the other side, it was pointed out that the table UPLOAD is formulated
assuming a single TABLE resource in the VOTable document. The client specifies
the name of the table and the content (URI or inline). This would have to be
completely redone to handle multiple table resources in a predictable way. The
ability to get a VOTable from one TAP service and UPLOAD it to another is
critical for building up more complicated usage patterns and we spent
considerable time establishing the symmetry of input and output VOTables to
support this. So, even in the future I think it will be very had and likely
inappropriate to try to include multiple table resource support in TAP.

There was a smaller issue about TAP specifiying TABLEDATA only. I already
responded that if this is not a useful restriction for making implementation
easy then the restriction could be dropped.

PS-I will take a stab at Vizier (not literally: attempt to address that case)
separately

Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2M7

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7