TAP 1.0: sync vs async

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 16 02:33:01 PDT 2009

Hi Gerard,

I support your suggestion that the VOSI resources be siblings of the
TAP sync and async resources.

This was discussed at length in the drafting of TAP 0.3x, but the
editors did not get a consensus in favour, only a majority.

Separating the VOSI resources has an important advantage: the
capabilities and tables resources can then be implemented as a static
XML-document. When VOSI is combined with the TAP-query resources,
requests for capabilities and tables have to be generated (or at least
mediated) by servlets or scripts.

I note that the VOSI spec doesn't mandate any particular URL for the
VOSI resources. Including them in sync is allowed; separating them is
also OK.

Cheers,
Guy