SIAP and encoding of POS input parameter

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 21 10:48:20 PST 2009

Hi -

XML Schema apparently distinguishes between the lexical representation of
a number, and a "canonical" representation which I quoted below.  The
lexical representations of integer and float/double appear to permit a
leading "+", whereas the canonical representations do not.

In any case, the XML Schema Datatypes definition is what we adopted
for SSA/DAL2, mainly because it is defined independently of the
implementation language.  This does appear to provide a precise
definition, although it could be clarified in the specifications.

>From Tom:
> This kind of thing could be put in an IVOA note or might be worth
> codifying in its own RFC.  I don't think this belongs in the individual
> DAL services though.  Similar things, like what characters are
> valid in String's? Do we have any support for Unicode in parameters?
> could also be addressed.

There is a draft DAL2 architecture document (DAL service architecture
and stnandard profile) which applies to all the second generation
interfaces, which could be a logical place to put this sort of detail.
Since we are mainly concerned with input parameters here (POS etc.) it
is not sufficient to refer to VOTable or ADQL, although it would be
nice if all of these are consistent.  Since VOTable is XML-based I
suspect that DAL2 and VOTable at least are consistent since they both
reference or imply XML Schema datatypes.

 	- Doug