SIAP and encoding of POS input parameter

Tom McGlynn Thomas.A.McGlynn at nasa.gov
Wed Jan 21 10:06:51 PST 2009

Hi Thomas,

I agree that this should be spelled out somewhere very explicitly.
Personally I believe that all of the examples you give should be valid.

We could define a regular expression that mandates the syntax that DAL
services are expected to support for real numbers, e.g. something like

    [+-]?(\d+(\.\d*)?|\.\d+)([eE](+-)?\d+)?

might work.  [The complex bit is to allow both '10.' and '.10' but not
just '.']

Then we'd know if we needed to support 'D/d' in the exponent, what to do
with spaces, and so forth.

This kind of thing could be put in an IVOA note or might be worth
codifying in its own RFC.  I don't think this belongs in the individual
DAL services though.  Similar things, like what characters are valid in
String's? Do we have any support for Unicode in parameters?  could also
be addressed.  I can't recall if the VOTable standard dealt with this
explicitly or inherited definitions from XML.

	Tom