separating TAP and query languages

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 01:43:33 PST 2009

On 23 Feb 2009, at 01:55, Roy Williams wrote:

> But when I started reading the document below, it says that ADQL is
> "mandatory", VOSI compliance is "mandatory", metadata queries are
> "mandatory", RUNID is "mandatory", and so on and so on. Years of
> time and effort to expend on all these things before even starting
> with the "optional" parts of TAP...

How do you know that these things cost "years of effort"? Have you
spent years implementing them?

VOSI is not "years of effort"; it's not even weeks. To be VOSI
compliant, your service has to serve two static documents (one for the
capabilities, one for the tables) and have one URL that pings the
database to see if the service can work. If I were writing this for a
specific DB, I could write it in an afternoon.

RUNID is not "years of work". It just means that you take a token from
the request and write it into the service log.

ADQL is not "years of work". To implement TAP, you don't need to parse
it fully, you only need to turn it into SQL acceptable to your RDBMS.
If you do choose to parse it fully, you're welcome to use the
AstroGrid parser-library.

Guy