separating TAP and query languages

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 01:27:24 PST 2009

On 23 Feb 2009, at 01:55, Roy Williams wrote:

> ... However I am not seeing the software toolkit to let me build a
> compliant TAP service from my database, and I am not seeing this
> being built anywhere(?).
>
> I am associated with a small sky survey which is ready to publish
> its results "in VO form". What would you recommend for the small
> data provider in the ~1 year timeframe? Wait for the TAP toolkit to
> be in beta? Cone search? Skynode? Casjobs on windows? Upload to
> Vizier and hope they can make a full TAP?

Roy,

as you well know, AstroGrid makes toolkits for data publishers. Our
DSA/Catalogue component is for publishing a database - an arbitrary,
existing database, not one designed for the software. As I told you
during ADASS, we have already built an early version of TAP, are
building a later version and intend to track the standard as it emerges.

Guy