comments on contents of TAP 0.31

Gerard gerard.lemson at mpe.mpg.de
Thu Feb 19 08:13:32 PST 2009

Dear colleagues

I have been reading the TAP 0.31 spec and given comments on its contents. I
have listed these on wike page
http://www.ivoa.net/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/GerardLemsonTAP_031.
Don't know if that is suitable place, but there was no discussion page yet
and I'd like to avoid a large email this time.

My main comments concern /sync and /async, the contents of the metadata,
issues ofcase sensitivity,
and which parameters can go together. I have not much to say about
ParamQuery here.
No doubt some of the more detailed comments also on the page have been made
irrelevant by Pat's new proposal.

For the metadata I have tried capturing some proposals that have been
discussed in the past (in thread on VODataSerivce) together with the
metadata in the spec in a UML model at the bottom of the page.
In particular it contains details that Francois Ochsenbein and I discussed
concerning foreign keys.
In my opinion such a diagram might serve to focus the discussion on the
contents, without also immediately requiring discussions of the form
(TAP_SCHEMA, VODataService/XML, VOTable).

Hope this can be of some help.

Best regards

Gerard Lemson