resuming progress on TAP

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 12 15:21:36 PST 2009

Andy -

I wasn't aware that Pat had offered anything more than an interesting
concept for us to ponder, but in any case I have no problem with
further analysis of what is really an architectural concept, so long
as it does not unwind months of effort, prototyping, and interface
design or invalidate our past agreements.  This should not result
in the removal of param query (or adql query) functionality from TAP
but it could possibly help to better organize the interface concept.
I see little in TAP PQ that is separable to the extent that e.g.,
ADQL or VOTable are.

I just want to emphasize again that the current TAP concept already
largely provides this.  TAP defines a common table query processing
functionality, with two main methods for posing a query, syntax-based
(ADQL/otherQL) and parameter-based.  Both have their advantages and
disadvantages and both are valid.  Once the query has been posed with
either of these methods (service operations or abstract interface
methods), everything else in TAP can be the same, including query
execution and output processing, asynchronous execution facilities,
table uploads, etc.  By separating the two main query methods
we already have a strong logical structure for the interface -
the document just needs to more clearly reflect this structure.
Currently it does not but that is easily rectified.

 	- Doug