resuming progress on TAP

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 12 10:23:10 PST 2009

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Keith Noddle wrote:

> ... The reception your post received and your reaction to it are most
> interesting. The subtext is clear: "We brook no dissent". I beg to differ.
>
> Anyone and everyone has the right and indeed is encouraged to post their
> comments or suggestions to the mailing list. They have the right to expect
> their posts to be considered and debated, however briefly. If it transpires
> the post doesn't directly help, they further have the right to be let down
> gently, because no genuine input can ever wholly be without merit. To do
> otherwise stifles debate and that cannot and must not be allowed.
>
> However strongly we hold our opinions and preferences, this must always be a
> debate amongst friends. We can rail as much as we like about the subject in
> hand, but surely we all share common goals and aspirations for the Virtual
> Observatory? After vigorous debate we should be able to share a beer and
> joke. If this is not the case, what then the future of the VO in general and
> the IVOA in particular?

Oh dear.  Keith, Arnold and I are old friends and I responded quickly
in a conversational manner as I had to run (and followed up later in
private email when I got back).  You are absolutely right, it was a
serious point and we should have been more formal in the discussion
since this was on a public exploder.  We have already shared more
than one beer or two, you can be sure of that (we should so so as
well sometime!).