DAL/TAP Response

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 5 20:16:17 PST 2009

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the nudge.  And just to show I'm not asleep, I'll say that
I'm not sure I would agree to your framing of the controversy over
TAP. Consequently, I think it leads to an incomplete list of options.

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Keith Noddle wrote:
> (1) We adhere to the decisions of the IVOA and define a TAP standard that
> includes only asynchronous ADQL-based querying. We follow that quickly with
> the next revision of the TAP document that includes optional parametrised
> querying. Separating them out will allow progress on each to be made.
>
> (2) We revisit the IVOA decision, turn it on its head and make parametrised
> querying mandatory, define a standard that enshrines that and in a later
> revision add an ADQL querying option.
>
> (3) We revisit the whole notion of TAP and accept two standards that define
> Table Access: SimpleTAP that defines Parametrised querying and TAP that
> defines ADQL based querying (actual names TBD). We bring both to the IVOA as
> and when they are ready as independent standards. We then allow (recommend,
> cajole) the Data Centres to choose which they implement - or more likely,
> which they deploy based upon the off-the-shelf services the various VO
> projects offer.

I feel quite certain that no one is suggesting 2 or 3.  For my own part
and on behalf of my project, I've tried to make it quite clear that it has
never been our position to attempt to change the agreement to "make
parametrised querying mandatory".

In my view, the option that was left out was the one that was in progress:
(0) To create an integrated spec where ADQL is mandatory and parameterized
query is optional.  This was the basic agreement from the IVOA meetings,
yes?

We know WG discussions regularly slow down, and I think in this case of
TAP, there's probably a bit of "let's wait and see what happens" going on,
and apart from three hearty souls, we may be wondering where to begin.  I
would suggest we develop a strawman list of outstanding unresolved and/or
controversial issues.  As we write them down, some obvious alternatives
could be offered that people can respond to.  I'd be happy to contribute
to that list.

cheers,
Ray