DAL/TAP Response

Chenzhou CUI ccz at bao.ac.cn
Thu Feb 5 20:05:18 PST 2009

Dear Keith and all,

As an end user and small data center manager, I feel an EASY OF USE
implementation reference, a deployment tool or a library, is very
important for the success of an IVOA specification. Whether the
specification itself is complex or simple, if only it can be adopted by
end users easily, it will get success.

Cheers,

On 2009-2-5 15:30, Keith Noddle wrote:
> There has been very little activity on the DAL mailing list regarding
> TAP and I confess I too have been at a loss as to how to respond.
>
> Firstly, thank you François and Bob for your input, I will address the
> points you raise below. However, I am struggling with how to respond
> to certain aspects of Bob's posting of 17th December without causing
> another perturbance, but...
>
> I am concerned that we are recycling ideas and not progressing.
>
> Let me make clear my aims as DAL Chair:
>
> (1) provide a TAP specification that meets the needs of *every member
> of the IVOA* - even if that means rapidly producing a number of
> incremental revisions to the standard
>
> (2) have a first-version TAP standard that meets, as closely as
> possible, the expectations of the DAL audience at the next Interop.
>
> I am firmly of the opinion that we have to compromise, agree what can
> be agreed and finalise that, then break up what remains into
> manageable pieces.
>
> ===
> Following the last three Interops and the Trieste one in particular,
> my interpretation of the intent of the IVOA regarding TAP is this:

> TAP should define an asynchronous service that consumes ADQL queries
> and returns VOTable formatted results. There are additional bells and
> whistles that also should be included. These are well understood.
>
> To address NVO concerns that not all Data Centres have the resources
> to implement TAP compliant interfaces, we included the notion of
> simple, synchronous, parametrised querying as an optional TAP
> capability. To distinguish between the required and optional query
> interfaces, we called the former TAP/QL and the latter TAP/Param.
>
> All this is recorded in my Trieste Plenary talk.
>
> Between Interops, when activity within the IVOA traditionally
> diminishes, focus has again returned to the importance of parametrised
> querying. It seems clear to me that this is a strongly held view but
> which is seemingly in conflict with the collective decisions of the
> IVOA. However, simply losing a vote does not diminish the importance
> of an issue _in the view of those that regard it as essential_.
>
> Whatever we decide to do next, the current TAP definition process is
> not working nor will it ever truly be successful; it simply tries to
> bite off too much in one go. We are in difficulties and it seems to me
> there are at least 3 possibilities:
>
> ===
> (1) We adhere to the decisions of the IVOA and define a TAP standard
> that includes only asynchronous ADQL-based querying. We follow that
> quickly with the next revision of the TAP document that includes
> optional parametrised querying. Separating them out will allow
> progress on each to be made.
>
> (2) We revisit the IVOA decision, turn it on its head and make
> parametrised querying mandatory, define a standard that enshrines that
> and in a later revision add an ADQL querying option.

> [...]

Chenzhou Cui
National Astronomical Observatory | Tel: (8610)64872500
Chinese Academy of Sciences       | FAX: (8610)64878240
Datun Road 20A, Chaoyang District | Email: ccz at bao.ac.cn
Beijing 100012, China             | WWW: www.lamost.org/~cb