TAP 1.0: Substantive comments.

Tom McGlynn Thomas.A.McGlynn at nasa.gov
Mon Aug 31 13:04:50 PDT 2009

Patrick Dowler wrote:
> A detail question: in interacting with an async (UWS-based) service, one can
> set params on the server side in a series of POSTs, starting with the POST
> that creates the job. That is, one can create the job, then POST various
> params u pto the point where one POSTs PHASE=RUN to start the job. Once you
> start a job you can no longer modify it. So, if one is to use
>
> UPLOAD=mytable_name,inline:mytable_content
>
> would the inline content have to be delivered in the same POST as the UPLOAD
> param that connects the TAP table name with the content? I would assume this
> is required but just checking that this is what we mean.

I hate cluttering up the standard with special cases. [Can you tell!]
If this is permitted for other parameters then I'd want to try to treat
this the same for file uploads as everything else.  As I see it the cost
is that we need to preserve parameters that might be file upload
parameters until we get the RUN request.  But I think the typical
implementation is going to preserve all of the parameters in some
fashion anyway until the RUN request is made so the only real difference
is that these will be longer than most.  Since the whole capability is
optional perhaps that's not a problem.

There is no cost to this so long as the UPLOAD request precedes any file
upload parameters if the server is mildly intelligent.  If the UPLOAD
comes first then the file upload parameters are immediately
recognizable.  Indeed I could imagine a mode where a user sends up a set
of uploaded files one by one in separate requests and then does the
query.  A very large upload set could be broken into more handleable chunks.

However I've done very little with this kind of async service, so I may
be misunderstanding how it works.

	Tom