TAP 1.0: Substantive comments.

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Mon Aug 31 12:03:10 PDT 2009

On Monday 31 August 2009 10:26:01 you wrote:
> > If instead we were to use a parameter to associate the upload with
> > a table what might this look like and what would we gain?  We might
> > have something like the following (not yet a carefully thought out
> > proposal):
> >
> >      UPLOAD=myTable,inline:<multipart-name>
> >
> > which would associate the named table myTable with an inline uploaded
> > file.
>
> I think I like this.

I agree - this looks workable and has a nice symmetry.

> Just to clarify with an example.  We might have parameters
>
>     UPLOAD=mytable,inline:mytable;yourtable,http://your.host/table.xml
>     mytable=<?XML...><VOTABLE>...</VOTABLE>
>
> [where mytable would likely be populated as a file upload but this
> is not required.]
>
> This uploads two tables, yourtable which is specified through an
> external URL, and mytable which is uploaded as part of the query.

Since one could use a VOSpace URI (vos://) as the second value in an UPLOAD,
it looks like we are basically talking about defining a URI scheme for
"inline".... so then we are down to Tom's point about making sure it doesn't
collide with anything.

A detail question: in interacting with an async (UWS-based) service, one can
set params on the server side in a series of POSTs, starting with the POST
that creates the job. That is, one can create the job, then POST various
params u pto the point where one POSTs PHASE=RUN to start the job. Once you
start a job you can no longer modify it. So, if one is to use

UPLOAD=mytable_name,inline:mytable_content

would the inline content have to be delivered in the same POST as the UPLOAD
param that connects the TAP table name with the content? I would assume this
is required but just checking that this is what we mean.

Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2M7

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7