Spectral cutout service

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Tue Sep 30 19:04:02 PDT 2008

Hi Petr -

SSAP supports cutouts in just the same sense that SIAP does: you
specify the region of interest (ROI), and if the service is a cutout
service it computes a spectra to fit the ROI.  For a spectra, BAND
is what gives you the cutout, whereas for an image it is POS,SIZE
(and for a time series it would be TIME).

For typical lowres survey spectra cutouts are probably not that
useful, but it should be a useful feature for any highres spectra.
In particular it could be used to get line profiles.

While this is the intention, I am yet not aware of any SSAP services
that can do cutouts.

Note that none of the "typed" DAL interfaces are limited to merely
returning archival (whole) datasets; they all do virtual data
generation (subset, filter, transform).  Only the planned generic
dataset is limited to archival data access, however it will have
other capabilities, e.g., for association to describe complex data
aggregations.

 	- Doug