TAP, skynode, or boutique?

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Fri Sep 5 10:03:11 PDT 2008

On 2008-9-5 08:55:54 Roy Williams wrote:
> This is fabulous Guy, thank you.
>
> Do you know anyone who is making/planning an implementation of TAP
> 3.3.6? In the US, there are several partial implementations of TAP being
> started, but nobody is doing that part of the spec.

I just returned from holidays and was aiming to announce this today, but (as
with all prototypes) I have one mor thing to do first :-)

We have implemented an async TAP/QL service with support for most of the
region stuff in ADQL (still lacking STC support since I don't have time to
write my own library). It follows the UWS 0.4 spec with a few additional
RESTful resources specific to TAP: format (XML or CVS), query (the ADQL). I
still have to add two things to make it complete:

1. support "dest" so the output goes to a VOSpace instead of being stored
locally

2. support table upload: it seems that input data would be pretty standard in
any UWS and UWS already specifies the results resource, so I punted this
topic to the gws mailing list... there are some TAP-specific details about
table upload, so I'm not sure a generic solution will work, but it needs to
be consistent if UWS adds an "inputs" resource

Anyway, once table upload is implemented (soon: looks pretty easy with STIL)
it would be possible to do exactly what it says in 3.3.6: upload a table of
positions and do a spatial join between that table and some table the service
exposes. I am hoping to get this working before the meeting.

I will post a URL once I fix a small issue with getting the result from the
XML output.

Tel/Tél: (250) 363-6914                  | fax/télécopieur: (250) 363-0045
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre   | Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
National Research Council Canada | Conseil national de recherches Canada
Government of Canada                  | Gouvernement du Canada
5071 West Saanich Road               | 5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria, BC                                  | Victoria (C.-B.)