handling HTTP redirects

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Wed Jun 4 10:49:52 PDT 2008

Sebastien

Of course the Vizier people can use redirects if they want, it is quite
legal. It is also legal to make a cone search which never returns more
than three sources, or one that returns an error for every possible request.

I have done a rough timing test of Vizier cone searches, and I find that
the redirect costs about 0.5 seconds per cone search. In other words, a
Vizier service will be quite a bit faster if you simply replace up front
the string "vizier" with "webviz" in all the accessURLs that you get
from the registry. Since Vim runs hundreds of cone searches at a time,
this is what I have chosen to do, to save a few minutes of my customer's
valuable time.

Roy

--

California Institute of Technology