call for presentations at the Data Model sessions in Cambridge , September 2007

Alberto Conti aconti at stsci.edu
Tue Jan 22 15:25:11 PST 2008

> When it comes to graphics intensive visualization such as
> gSky/WWT/Worldwind etc., this is a completely different problem.
now it is, I believe the two approaches: data and intensive viz will
converge.

> For this you need something like WMS which serves up uniform
> multiresolution graphics-oriented (non science) pixel tiles
> efficiently, plus a markup language for annotations like KML.
Or perhaps a WMS that is for (science) pixels as well. Why not think
about this?

> I would avoid over-general statements about VOTable, KML, STC, or
> whatever being the solution to all problems.
nah, over-general statements are what I do best! :P

> All technology has a
> limited scope of applicability.
and so do we, I keep telling myself...
-A

> [...]
>>>
>>> I don't understand what your point is here Alberto.  Can you expand
>>> upon this?  I am sure that KML is much better for some things than
>>> is VOTable, but VOTable works very well as a standard data model and
>>> transport mechanism for tabular data, a very common case in
>>> astronomy,
>>> and certainly a good fit for the output of a database query (which
>>> is what most VO data queries are).
>>>
>> exactly! I should rephrase: I don't believe VOTable will be as
>> efficient as
>> something like KML or whatever WWT releases if it's not KML. And
>> KML itself
>> could be improved, as all have pointed out.
>>
>> VOTable is not easily converted into objects (at least not in my
>> experience
>> and that of others), like a dataset in C# is for example and a
>> rowset is in
>> Java. It's schema is weak. Its structure is not easy to percolate
>> like a well
>> define industry structure. So while it is indeed efficient for
>> tabular data
>> (reminiscent of a fits file), it does not seem to be the most
>> efficient for
>> extracting data nor as a transport mechanism for non-tabular data
>> like
>> metadata.
>> This is at least my experience.
>>
>>> To take this anti-VOTable argument to an extreme, if we are to do
>>> away with standard mechanisms for table abstractions, perhaps we
>>> should do away with the relational database while we are at it.
>>> It is much the same situation.
>>>
>> I disagree. In contrast to what's happening with VOTable, we
>> adopted SQL and
>> its table abstraction because it gave us a huge leverage in terms
>> of data
>> access, data display, data cross-correlation, not to mention that
>> is was and
>> is the standard. ADQL sits on top of SQL.
>>
>> VOTable seem to built on top of fits, which is a standard, but not
>> an adequate
>> one when for large cross-indexed metadata, which is what we are
>> talking about.
>> KML's vocabulary, for example, while limited for astronomy, contains
>> constructs that are readily usable in its (well documented)
>> schema. On top of
>> this a large community is using it, something that I think we
>> cannot ignore.
>>
>> Perhaps the answer is some subset of STC, I don't know. I know
>> that now that
>> GoogleSky and WWT are a reality we are confronted on how to serve
>> data to
>> these new visualization tools. KML is a possible solution, not the
>> only one.
>> WWT will clearly require perhaps yet another adjustment, but if
>> they too will
>> adopt KML then I believe we might be able to build on top of both
>> to push the
>> KML standard in the direction we require.

Dr Alberto Conti
Community Missions Office
Space Telescope Science Institute
contact | tel: 410-338-4534 | aim: wscience