call for presentations at the Data Model sessions in Cambridge , September 2007

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Tue Jan 22 15:04:32 PST 2008

Hi Alberto -

Thanks, that helps a bit.  No one (so far as I know) is arguing that
VOTable is the solution to all problems in VO.  We use it primarily
for representing and interchanging tables, such as the output of a
DAL query or the input or output of a TAP/ADQL table query, which
are classical table-oriented queries.

VO has not done much about representing complex structured data
objects; mostly these are handled on a case-by-case basis.  VOTable is
one supported format for 1-D spectra or time series, but other formats
such as FITS and native XML are also supported, and other types of
objects in VO use a variety of different representations.

When it comes to graphics intensive visualization such as
gSky/WWT/Worldwind etc., this is a completely different problem.
For this you need something like WMS which serves up uniform
multiresolution graphics-oriented (non science) pixel tiles
efficiently, plus a markup language for annotations like KML.  In many
ways this application is more analogous to a graphics-oriented
replacement for the HTML-based browser than it is to modeling
science data or representing the result of table-oriented queries.
In particular such a markup language may produce arbitrary graphics
annotations and program the remote generic visualization tool to
generate requests back to a service, which is getting to be pretty
visual interaction specific functionality.

I would avoid over-general statements about VOTable, KML, STC, or
whatever being the solution to all problems.  All technology has a
limited scope of applicability.

	- Doug