TAP information schema

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Sun Oct 14 04:33:00 PDT 2007

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Patrick Dowler wrote:

> I also agree 100% with this -- need both sync and async and the output of the
> async should go to a VOSpace...
>
> Can one just specify that the output is to some combination of a service type
> (soap, rest, etc) and a service endpoint (URL) that makes ? Would that
> include VOSpace and other (unknown) interfaces? The reason I am asking is
> that for VOSpace 1.x the destination is a SOAP web service but there was lots
> of talk about VOSpace 2.0 being REST (eg more vanilla http).

In CEA v1, the remote endpoints for data flows are just URLs. If the service
sees an ivo:// URL then it looks it up in the registry; typically this is an
AstroGrid-MySpace service. if it sees http:// or gsiftp:// instead then it
knows how to deal with those. There's no type information alongside these
URLs.

Similarly, a service presented with a vos:// URL knows it's dealing with
VOSpace, but it has to go to the registry (or to its cache of registry
information) to find out which version.

The pattern is that a data URL is either for a data stream or for a service
that is a generator of data streams, and the only supported cases of the
latter are MySpace and VOSpace. We can't exchaneg data with an arbitrary SOAPm
or REST service unless we know its protocol.

> Also, is either of sync or async an optional capability? My feeling is that at
> a minimum sync is required and async is optional, but anyone with a decent
> sized database is going to implement async.
>
> Further, I think a TAP service should have the option of refusing to execute a
> query in sync mode and telling the caller that async must be used. We would
> need to specify exactly how the service makes this known, but in the general
> case a service may decide after seeing the query itself so I think this is a
> sort of result or error message (actually more like an http redirect) that
> clients will have to deal with.

The asynchronicity or lack thereof would have to be described in the TAP
capability. I suspect that it's going to be a separate Interface element to
the synchronous functions. It may by (as Paul Harrison has already suggested)
that we need a formal sub-type of Interface called UWS.

Guy Rixon 				        gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Institute of Astronomy   	                Tel: +44-1223-337542
Madingley Road, Cambridge, UK, CB3 0HA		Fax: +44-1223-337523