gzipped images in SIAP 1.0

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Wed May 23 03:46:26 PDT 2007

Rob,

On 2007 May 23 , at 02.06, Rob Seaman wrote:

> To return to something Norman Gray said:
>
>> If you wanted to distribute a gzip file -- ie, the client is
>> neither expected nor permitted to _transparently_ unzip it -- then
>> you'd use application/x-gzip, or whatever the appropriate MIME
>> type for a zipped file is; but that's not what you want, I don't
>> think
>
> In the case of SIAP (and the VO in general) what is the client
> expected to do with such files?  Is the assumption that the value
> of the compression is purely for transport, not for client storage
> efficiency?  In that case might not a transfer encoding be what is
> desired, not a content encoding?

Yes, I was indeed conflating HTTP content-encoding, HTTP transfer-
encoding, and MIME content-transfer-encoding (hrumph!); I corrected
myself in a subsequent message.

The reason why application/x-gzip is a poor MIME type is for exactly
the reason you suggest: it gives a client no clues about what it's
expected to do with the bytestream.

All the best,

Norman