gzipped images in SIAP 1.0

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Tue May 22 09:06:14 PDT 2007

Roy, hello again.

On 2007 May 22 , at 23.15, Roy Williams wrote:

> (1) SIAP specification remains unchanged and gzipped images are
> declared non compliant. Unfortunately this means fewer VO-compliant
> data services, more broken registry records, and less happiness in
> the world.

There's no need for this, I think.  The notion of a gzipped FITS file
is perfectly adequately expressed in the content-type and content-
encoding headers of HTTP.

I don't think SIAP has a say in this (being at a layer above HTTP),
unless it explicitly states that it wishes to  profile HTTP and
forbid services from using the content-encoding header (which would
be a Bad Thing, I believe).

[[And forget what I said before about the transparency of decoding
content-encoding.  Having checked, I think I was conflating content-
encoding and transfer-encoding, or mixing it up with the content-
transfer-encoding of MIME; HTTP transfer-encoding is supposed to be
transparent, but is not intended to be particularly relevant here.]]

> (2) The SIAP spec is changed to allow a new field may be in the
> table with |ucd=*"VOX:Image_Encoding"*|, and if present, the value
> may be "gzip", or "compress" etc as written here
> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec3.html#sec3.5

I don't believe that there's any need for that, either, given that
HTTP is expressive enough already.

I think that all your client has to do, Roy, is remember that the
content-encoding header exists, and be prepared to deal with it if it
sees it.  No problem!

All the best,

Norman