SSAP and images

Anita M. S. Richards a.m.s.richards at manchester.ac.uk
Tue May 1 09:07:38 PDT 2007

Hi people,

Today we were doing a demo at the E-Science North West open day in
Manchester and someone asked 'can you display the positions of spectra on
top of images'.  So I used AstroScope to get some spectra and images and
sent an image to Aladin, and sent the SSAP VOTable to Aladin and TopCat.
Two problems emerged:

The position is given in decimal degrees but type is string.  If I change
to float, TopCat will plot the positions.

However, even then, Aladin will only offer to display it in a spectral
tool - it won't plot the positions.

Probably we ahve discussed this and there are good reasons for it not
working? Or is it something to do with retrieving SSAP stuff via
AstroScope? But otherwise, it seems easy to fix and would please users.

Thanks

Anita