UType URIs -- IVOA note and resolver

Norman Gray Norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Thu Mar 22 08:53:16 PDT 2007

Greetings,

[This message is posted to the semantics, dm and dal lists.  To avoid
duplication, I suggest any followups go to a single list, and I
suggest the semantics group (I've set the reply-to field accordingly,
though this might not make it through the list manager).]

I've published a Note on how one might link UTypes and URIs,
following up (finally!) on one of the talks I gave at the Moscow
Interop.  The note is at <http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/latest/utype-
uri.html>, and I'd much appreciate comments.

The `elevator pitch' is this: The definition of UTypes in the VOTable
document makes them look much like URIs.  If you tighten up the
VOTable definition and require that UTypes actually _are_ resolvable
URIs, then you get (a) documentation for the UTypes, and (b)
standards-based machine-readable declaration of the relationships
between UTypes, via a mechanism I describe in the Note.  That makes
it feasible to have more (ie, more precise) UTypes in the wild, with
a lightweight standardisation process, without sacrificing
interoperability. (phew!)

The document describes (in section 4.2) a lightweight reasoning
service, which would allow applications to key into this network of
UTypes in an almost trivially easy way.  If you want to play with
that, there's a resolver currently (and temporarily) sitting at
<http://thor.roe.ac.uk/utype-resolver/>.

The language of the Note is fairly close to a proposed standard, and
I'd like to suggest that the Note move towards becoming a standard in
fact, with some WG's blessing.  Would the Semantics WG be most
appropriate?

All the best,

Norman

----
Norman Gray  /  http://nxg.me.uk
eurovotech.org  /  University of Leicester, UK