RFC initiated for Simple Spectral Access protocol

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 26 05:44:43 PDT 2007

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 jsalgado at sciops.esa.int wrote:

> We talked to Markus yesterday (he is at ESAC because one EuroVO
> workshop) and he mentioned a special section about FORMAT=METADATA
> (including a better example) is being prepared but it has not been
> included in the document because time constrains. In fact, we had the
> action to send a description/example about the use for theoretical
> services. As the description is decoupled from the rest of the
> document, I do not see major problems if the section is finally
> included.

It could still be useful to have a section/example noting how to handle
theory data (although this really should have been in the doc already
it should be fairly independent).

> About POS/SIZE, it is misleading to consider one input parameter
> mandatory if it cannot be supported for a big set of services. I
> understand this is done to allow a client to send the same query to all
> the SSA services (including theoretical ones) without problems, but, as
> we know, the theoretical services need a special treatment anyway. In
> any case, if the people consider this solution reasonable, I do not
> have strong feelings against.

Service support for not only POS,SIZE, but also BAND and TIME is
mandatory - note the client does not have to provide any of these, it
is just that the service has to support them.  The doc specifies how
the service should handle these cases (an explicit positional or time
query against theory data will probably find nothing).