RFC initiated for Simple Spectral Access protocol

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Fri Jun 22 07:55:38 PDT 2007

> I'm afraid that I am with Randy on this.  Yes, VOTable is very
> convenient for some things, but the danger is that if we emphasise it
> too much for spectra, service providers may think that they don't have
> to support anything else.

What a coincidence to see this thread first thing this morning, since I
have planned part of my day for translating the spectrum service from
JHU into a proper cone search -- i.e. one that returns VOTable. And I am
told by the developers (budavari and Dobos) that their XML format will
change *again* in the near future, so that I will have to re-create this
filter quite soon. What would be really nice is a spectral cone search
-- RA and DEC and SR is converted to VOTable of sources and links to
their spectra.

Roy