getCapabilities in SSAP

Igor Chilingarian chil at sai.msu.ru
Fri Feb 23 04:02:20 PST 2007

Dear Doug and DAL group,

We are working on the SSA access to the spectra of Be stars (project by
Bertrand de Batz and Coralie Neiner at the Observatory of Paris).
We would like to implement the service, fully-compliant to the latest version
of the SSAP document. Several questions have raised during the process of
implementation.

1) REQUEST=getCapabilities. In the version of the document, which we use
(v0.97) it is written that "getCapabilities" should be similar to VOResource.
And no more details. We have tried to check the examples on the SSAP services
you had announced a couple of weeks ago, and we got "HTTP-404 error" for the
.xml file corresponding to this query. Could you please provide an example of
such a response? We would like to implement some service-specific parameters,
which have major scientific interest, but we do not know how to describe them
in the getCapabilities.

2) Query Response metadata. There are several parameters specified as
MANDATORY, such as Char.SpatialAxis.Coverage.Location.Value,
Char.SpatialAxis.Coverage.Bounds.Extent, and
Char.TimeAxis.Coverage.Location.Value, which are not applicable for some sorts
of data, such as synthetic spectra, or even for observations of point sources
(e.g. stars), where "aperture angular diameter" does not bear much useful
information and is quite often unknown. The question is: are we allowed to put
"N/A" as the values for mandatory metadata fields?

3) Multi-language support for the descriptions of parameters. For a particular
case of Be stars database we have all the descriptions made in several
languages, and it seems to be very useful to be able to display them in the
client application correspondingly to the language setting there (e.g. Aladin
with multi-language support, announced yesterday by CDS). What do you think
about adding one more query parameter (RECOMMENDED or OPTIONAL), for example,
LANG accepting the I18N values such as "en","fr","sp","it", etc. with the
default setting to English?

With best regards,
 				Igor Chilingarian and Pierre Le Sidaner