UCDs in SIA v1.0

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 12 02:46:10 PST 2007

Hi Doug,

Randy and I were discussing the use of UCDs in SIAP v1.0 compliant
implementation and whether they are case-sensitive, particularly the
"VOX:" UCDs.  Although UCD1+ specifically states that UCD names are case
insensitive, I don't think there was any definitive statement regarding
the original UCDs in the available documentation when SIA was first
written (all the official UCDs were published as all upper-case).  The SIA
spec uses mixed case for the VOX UCDs; consequently, I wrote my validator
to insist on a case-sensitive match.  Do you think this is an overly
strict interpretation?

It mainly makes a difference to clients.  If we all understand these to be
case-insensitive, then clients will need to transform the UCDs to a single
case before comparing them.

thanks,
Ray