general comments to SSAP and SDM from outside

Nicholas A Walton naw at ast.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 22 07:49:59 PDT 2007

Dear Petr

you make some very valid points below. I would like to fully concur with
you - the publication of 'normalised' spectrum through the VO would be
very useful - and as you note - for many purposes, normalised spectra
are the 'science' product - they need never be flux calibrated in a
formal sense - as the output measurements are usually just equivalent
widths.

Thus, the SSAP spec should allow for the publication of normalised
spectra, and as you note - if this were/is the case - it should make it
a lot easier to get ground based spectra out through the VO.

Yours, Nic Walton

Petr Skoda wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I decided to enter IVOA DAL after having discussion with some of you
> during both ESAC workshops in March and June and after reading the
> SSAP1.01 and DM documents and mailing lists archive concerning it. I
> am not sure about sending the copy of this to DM list, but hope that
> this will be read by DM people as well (I am not sure if the spectrum
> DM is part of DM group or if it is rather a business of DAL -- feeling
> some fuzziness of the competences). So I am sending my general
> comments here to DAL group and further detailed comments to both
> documents will be sent soon in respective list.
>

> I try to understand all the reasons leading to the Spectrum data model
> and SSAP as it proposed, but after discussion with many of you, I feel
> need to give my impression of the overall effort connected with SDM
> and SSAP from outside - as a representant of a VO-aware scientific
> community having experience with the stellar optical spectroscopy and
> knowing well the data reduction procedures of most world optical
> spectrographs (both echelle and single order).
>
> I have a feeling that all the spectral part of a VO is being developed
> in a "space-instruments-centric" manner. Of course, it is clear the
> development is driven by requirements of large (mostly space-based)
> projects. Unfortunately, the developers are surrounded by scientists
> working only with particular type of data and from here comes a false
> feeling that most of a spectra should have similar properties (to
> those produced by satellites) and what is different is "obsolete" or
> "incomplete" and thus not worth of proper handling in VO. (e.g. 1D
> FITS in image format)
>
> Maybe I am wrong, but my current understanding of SSA and SDM is that:
> the only one good spectra format is VOTable and FITS with binary
> tables. The spectrum without absolute flux calibration in physical
> units (like W cm-2 s-1 A-1) is considered not "fully science-ready"
> because of missing Flux-axis information etc ... When I asked some of
> you how to display continuum normalized spectra, I was told exactly
> this - as the protocol pre 1.0 required to represent SCALEQ and DIMEQ
> in units, I was told the units for flux should be "n/a" .....
>

> I think that normalization does not deserve such a neglection: Let me
> comment on this a little: I think it is again space-centric view: the
> flux calibration for ground-based spectra is quite rare - only for
> certain studies (e.g spectral classification) is done - mostly on
> low-resolution spectra - morever it is extremely difficult to do it
> precisely (changing extinction, seeing ...).
>
> The major part of ground based optical spectra from middle and high
> resolution spectrographs is uncalibrated (in some counts or data
> numbers - after the extraction by pipeline) and most people make the
> science on them after continuum normalization - look at the examples
> of many graphs in ApJ or A&A !

> [...]

Dr N. A. Walton
(AstroGrid Project Scientist	       http://www.astrogrid.org)
(Euro-VO VOTC Project Scientist	       http://www.euro-vo.org)
Institute of Astronomy          Tel:   +44 1223 337503
University of Cambridge         Fax:   +44 1223 337523
Madingley Road                  WWW:   http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~naw
Cambridge, CB3 0HA              email: naw at ast.cam.ac.uk