general comments to SSAP and SDM from outside

Petr Skoda skoda at pleione.asu.cas.cz
Wed Aug 22 07:12:34 PDT 2007

Dear colleagues,

I decided to enter IVOA DAL after having discussion with some of you
during both ESAC workshops in March and June and after reading the
SSAP1.01 and DM documents and mailing lists archive concerning it. I
am not sure about sending the copy of this to DM list, but hope that
this will be read by DM people as well (I am not sure if the spectrum
DM is part of DM group or if it is rather a business of DAL --
feeling some fuzziness of the competences). So I am sending my
general comments here to DAL group and further detailed comments to
both documents will be sent soon in respective list.

I try to understand all the reasons leading to the Spectrum data
model and SSAP as it proposed, but after discussion with many of you,
I feel need to give my impression of the overall effort connected
with SDM and SSAP from outside - as a representant of a VO-aware
scientific community having experience with the stellar optical
spectroscopy and knowing well the data reduction procedures of most
world optical spectrographs (both echelle and single order).

I have a feeling that all the spectral part of a VO is being developed in
a "space-instruments-centric" manner. Of course, it is clear the
development is driven by requirements of large (mostly space-based)
projects. Unfortunately, the developers are surrounded by scientists
working only with particular type of data and from here comes a false
feeling that most of a spectra should have similar properties (to those
produced by satellites) and what is different is "obsolete" or
"incomplete" and thus not worth of proper handling in VO. (e.g. 1D FITS in
image format)

Maybe I am wrong, but my current understanding of SSA and SDM is that: the
only one good spectra format is VOTable and FITS with binary tables. The
spectrum without absolute flux calibration in physical units (like W cm-2
s-1 A-1) is considered not "fully science-ready" because of missing
Flux-axis information etc ... When I asked some of you how to display
continuum normalized spectra, I was told exactly this - as the protocol
pre 1.0 required to represent SCALEQ and DIMEQ in units, I was told the
units for flux should be "n/a" .....

I think that normalization does not deserve such a neglection: Let me
comment on this a little: I think it is again space-centric view: the
flux calibration for ground-based spectra is quite rare - only for
certain studies (e.g spectral classification) is done - mostly on
low-resolution spectra - morever it is extremely difficult to do it
precisely (changing extinction, seeing ...).

The major part of ground based optical spectra from middle and high
resolution spectrographs is uncalibrated (in some counts or data
numbers - after the extraction by pipeline) and most people make the
science on them after continuum normalization - look at the examples
of many graphs in ApJ or A&A !

Moreover all the modern high resolution spectrographs are echelle -
here the separate orders are published normalized. If the trials are
made to merge the orders in one long spectrum (with very uncertain
results due to complexity of behaviour of blaze function) the final
spectrum is in artificial units like counts or is nomalized again.
I have not yet see flux-calibrated spectrum from GROUND-BASED
echelle.

All abundance studies, asteroseismology, multiple stars
disentangling, time evolution of envelopes, circumstellar shells or
stellar winds needs normalized spectra. The RV measurement - either
direct or by cross-correlation needs well normalized spectrum as
well (at least for processing by classical programs like fxcor)
Even the properly calculated synthetic spectra (in absolute flux) are
usualy  normalized to continuum to allow the comparison with
observations (and sometimes the continuum is corrected using the synthetic
model)

I think the ROUGH spectral classification of unknown objects is the
only application for absolute flux calibrated spectra. (especially in
extragalactic research). Low resolution spectra are used for this.
But even the topics like detailed spectral classification or analysis
of chemical composition (if done properly) are comparing continuum
normalized synthetic and observed spectra (e.g. by Chi^2 fits).
The problem how to fit the physical continuum is another story (depending
on experience and physical nature of object - but in general it has to
be done somehow to allow most of the analysis named above).

The space-based research works mostly with SEDs - OK the collection
of various spectral regions is a nice demonstration of VO power (and
most often mentioned in VO propaganda;-) so the non-VO aware
astronomer can get the feeling that all the VO effort is just done
for collection of very rough multispectral data and its main result
is the SED !

I think the continuum - normalized spectra should be regarded as
fully science ready both in observation and theory and proper support
should be given to them in VO tools and protocols. (I will comment
more on this in next mails) Concerning DAL business - one of SSA
results can be (in addition to VOTable) the FITS. The tricky part is
what FITS (it is implied binary tables FITS - but it is not seen
immediately in both DM and SSAP proposals.

>From further reading of previous documents and general history of
  SSAP I got the feeling that all versions except the binary tables are
considered not worth of support and let to the benevolence of the client
to support it and display - but rather it is wanted to let it go through
as the NATIVE format to some external legacy application. I understand
this - every project can have special format of data - for most
complicated instruments the bintable FITS were used.

But again most of optical ground spectra are not in bintables but in 1D
images! The answer is following: When someone is asked to reduce spectra
(if not having pipeline derived from some space-project) he takes either
MIDAS or IRAF tasks to produce extracted spectra(in onedspec or echelle
format). As the IRAF is still dominating the world, the results of MIDAS
reduction has to be finally converted to FITS readable by IRAF splot or
spectool as the most powerful spectra analysis tools. On the other hand
MIDAS can read IRAF-produced FITS if rebinned and the non-linear WCS
(using WAT keywords - unique for IRAF) is replaced by simple CDELT1,
CRVAL1.

So from both sides we end with 1D FITS image format (perhaps with
several more spectra for variance etc ..) Echelle spectra have to be
expanded into separate files for each echelle order (again with
CDELT1, CRVAL1), otherwise they are not interchangeable with other
tools. Very seldom are the spectra analyzed in form of
wavelength-flux ASCII table and sure not in VOTable format - but all
the middle and high resolution spectroscopy I have seen (and
discussed at different stellar conferences) is usually conducted in
1D FITS where only CDELT1 and CRVAL1 and NAXIS=1 is present -- it is
a common denominator of all formats used for spectra exchange.
Many one-man customized tools for spectrum analysis are even looking for
only these keywords in header directly (a lot of experienced scientists I
know are not even aware of FITSIO library)

So I think that the requirement for binary table FITS should be
complemented by 1D FITS image in the simple form using CRVAL,CDELT1. I
know a lot of professional astronomers who understand the FITS format only
in this form (never heard about binary tables) - and I think the most
astronomers can work with such a format and know how to display such a
spectra or have converters to their favourite tools. (BTW even amateur
spectroscopic SW or commercial SW for laboratory spectroscopy provides 1D
FITS with only few keywords and CRVAl1, CDELT1... after extraction, too)

The objections against rebinning (loosing the accuracy) are clearly
understandable, but quietly ignored (and proved not to be critical).
Many people would immediately benefit from the VO tools supporting
(esp. displaying) and servers delivering spectra in such a format.
After all the metadata should clearly describe what the axes mean in
what units and what is a precision and treatment of the data (e.g. by
the pipeline).

The problem with serialization is here as well (I need to know the
size of each axis...) but to be honest - what is a longest spectrum
in pixels or sigle echelle order? - only several thousand! (today
4600 as largest CCD chip - the mosaicing of chips for coverage of one
whole spectral (echelle) order is nonsense - such a spectra should be
divided to two parts as a complex object) So the keeping of several
thousand of numbers in a memory should not be serious serialization
problem.

The effort of making the standards overwhelming everything
conceivable is appreciated, the purity of the model is understandable
- it is clear that the UCD should be devised for every physical
variable... But the question is what is important for scientists
today and who are the scientists for whom the VO is build for. The VO
should give ASAP something not only for SED investigators and galaxy
classifiers but it should attract all the "classical" stellar
astronomers as well. Not only as consumers but as providers as well.

There is a wealth of spectra being produced by spectrographs on
smaller telescopes all over the world and reduced mostly in IRAF (or
MIDAS). Despite the problem of data privacy (another story ...) there
is a will to publish even small collection of spectra in VO - but
there is a lack of tools and tutorials how to do this easily.

BTW - if you look at list of 21 SSA services in VO Registry most of
them are space data. Only 3 ground based archives are there - some
services are just retooling another server data (Elodie data in BeSS)
or are just project data from several days of observation elsewhere.
Most of the spectra from ground are served by a  single server
tool (Pleinpot by P. Prugniel)

I am one of scientists with SW development abilities who has some
knowledge of VO (and tries to understand it more deeply) - but
current VO spectra publishing tools (as presented at June workshop)
are not helping too much to publish easily small collection of IRAF
reduced 1D spectra - BTW I was not able to find any tool allowing
easily the conversion of 1D fits to binary tables (e.g. the TABLES
package tasks did not accept such result of IRAF *ms* spectra
produced by apall tasks).

In the examples in appendices of both documents there is a lot of
stuff but no simple recommendations how to use the documents for
building simple SSA 1.01-compliant service of a bunch of normalized
1D FITS, what might be the main goal of many people from general
astronomical community.

I am pretty sure that some tutorial showing a minimal required params
and the example values for such a simple spectra is required to
attract more spectra publishers from smaller observatories and
amateurs as well ..

I didn't mean this like the critics of VO effort and I do not want my
objections to delay the approval of documents - but I want just to
emphasize the practical needs of ground-based astronomical community.
I have presented more inputs for further VO development in my March
presentation (and if somebody is interested I would be glad to
discuss the potential benefits of VO approach for everyday
astronomical work.

Best regards,

Petr Skoda

*  Petr Skoda                         Phone : +420-323-649201, ext. 361 *
*  Stellar Department                         +420-323-620361           *
*  Astronomical Institute AS CR       Fax   : +420-323-620250           *
*  251 65 Ondrejov                    e-mail: skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz  *
*  Czech Republic                             pskoda at mbox.cesnet.cz     *