SSA working draft

Phillip Warner pwarner at noao.edu
Fri Oct 20 08:33:16 PDT 2006

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 21:27:28 -0600 (MDT)
Doug Tody <dtody at nrao.edu> wrote:

 > What we would like to do between now and December is 1) invite comment
 > on the specification,

A first comment from me:

In section 1.4 (beginning), it is stated:

   Mandatory interface elements are indicated as must, recommended
   interface elements as should, and optional interface elements as may
   or simply "may" without the bold face font.

And in section 1.4.1, it is stated:
   A service is said to be fully compliant if, in addition to the
   functionality required to be minimally compliant, the service
   implements all the "should" (boldface) elements of the interface
   defined herein.

   A top of the line service will be fully compliant plus will
   implement some of the optional ("may" provide) elements of the
   interface....

However, in section 3.3.3, it is stated:
   The following additional parameters should or may be implemented by a
   service; all are required by a fully compliant service....

The paragraph in 3.3.3 is not consistent with the paragraphs in 1.4*.
I.e., 3.3.3 requires me to implement all of the 'may' parameters in
order to be "fully compliant".

However, the paragraph in 1.4 and the second paragraph in the 1.4.1
allows me to ignore the 'optional' or 'may' elements of the document in
order to be fully compliant.

This seems rather inconsistent.

Phil