Draft update DAL roadmap

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Fri May 19 15:15:50 PDT 2006

Hi Folks -

Below is the draft updated DAL roadmap as presented in the interop
meeting today.  This has not yet been adequately reviewed by the WG,
so please post any comments, suggestions, or about any issues requiring
clarification, and if warranted we will produce a revised version.

A couple of clarifications based on input received in the closing plenary.
The metadata extension mechanism originally developed for SIA cannot
be fully deployed until we have a new SIA standard.  A strategy for
fast-tracking this would be to introduce it in SSA 1.0 (where it will
also be useful) and then since it is upwards compatible we can probably
use it in SIA 1.0 as an early-release extension.

It has been suggested that simple spectral access is a poor name for a
time-series interface.  SSA is fine for the initial release which targets
primarily 1D spectra.  We should revisit the naming issue by the time of
the May 2007 meeting.  Since Spectrum, TimeSeries, and SED will now all
be top-level objects, we could consider tailoring the interface for each
type of data rather than having them all share the same name.

More details can be found on the Victoria interop TWiki page at
http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/InterOpMay2006DAL

	- Doug

Updated DAL WG Roadmap (DRAFT May19 2006)

    SSA
       Initial release supporting Spectrum
           1.0WD July 2006
           1.0PR Moscow, fall 2006
       Add support for SED, TimeSeries
           Target PR for May 2007

    SIA
       Legacy V1.0 interface
           Promote to 1.0PR by Moscow interop, fall 2006
           V1.0 interface will be preserved but eventually deprecated
           Simple/minimal service interface will be preserved indefinitely
       SIA V2.0
           Scope includes cube data access, async data staging/VOSpace
           Target 2.0 WD approved by WG by May 2007
           Promote to PR by fall 2007

    SCS (Cone Search)
       Legacy V1.0 interface
           Promote to 1.0PR by Moscow interop, fall 2006

    Generic Dataset
       Develop during 2007-2008
       Introduce ADQL integration into DAL here

    SLAP (Spectral Line Access)
       Target 1.0PR fall 2006

    SNAP (Numerical/Theory Data Access)
       new, in initial draft stage in Theory IG