Comments on SSAP V0.95, UCDs

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 27 13:30:20 PDT 2006

Hi Gretchen -

The SSA data model and query interface does include some coordinate
system reference frame technology and we are looking into tying this
more directly to STC, however the details have not yet been resolved
(this was discussed extensively before and during the Victoria
interop).  I hesitate to say anything specific since this is still
under discussion, but ultimately this may be something simple like
Whatever.CoordSystemID="UTC-FK5-TOPO" where the thing on the left
is the UTYPE and the right is a key pointing into some external
library of STC-defined coordinate systems, with the standard cases
like the one shown being well known and hopefully usable without a
detailed understanding of STC (VOEvent is taking a similar approach).
We probably want to separate the problems of coordinate instances
and reference frames and merely associate the two in this fashion,
so STC is not needed to specify actual coordinate instances in most
simple cases.

See for example Francois Bonnarel's presentation from the interop:
http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/InterOpMay2006DAL/utypes.pdf

 	- Doug