Comments on SSAP V0.95, UCDs

Gretchen Greene greene at stsci.edu
Tue Jun 27 12:27:47 PDT 2006

Hi Doug,

Thanks for explaining.  From the point of view of an implementer,
specifying utypes is a bit confusing.  My original understanding was
that it would allow mapping into a data model,  e.g.  STC is one for
spatial representation correct?,  yet as you stated it also serves a
more direct method of characterization in the string representation.
Also it sounds like there are still some fundamental pieces missing for
SSAP providers in deciding how to handle the basic coord cases.  Why not
make coordsys required (not to unleash a can of worms here,  I'm
thinking basic STC.AstroCoordSys.UTC-FK5...)?  Wouldn't that handle it?
Then you can work a protocol like SIA yet have the more generic
solution.

-G