Use case analysis for handling data cubes in VO

Anita Richards amsr at jb.man.ac.uk
Fri Feb 24 01:23:39 PST 2006

>> TIME SERIES
>>
>> The draft appeals for more exampls of data, especially multi-dimensional
>> time-series data, which is why this is copied to people who are experts in
>> this.  I understand that one problem so far is the lack, in practical use,
>> of standardised time formats or tools to convert between formats.  I can't
>> believ that it is any more difficult than providing tools for converting
>> between the various bizarre celestial coordinates, just that no-one has
>> done it yet.
>
> As you say, it isn't any more difficult - because it is largely the same
> problem.  That's why STC combines space and time into one package, bizarre or
> not.

I know that STC covers all conventions, but the point is that if I have a
data column 'RA' or 'glat' and it is in HH:MM:SS.SSSS or HH MM SS.SSS or
DDD.DDDDD or whatever, J2000, B1950 ... there are many tools and services
which have access to libraries which convert rapidly and accurately.

However, a quick search of just a few catalogues in Vizier reveals
dates/times represented as
1995-12-11T12:56:36
1981-10-10
1832
tues5214_2
1.95000e+08

and this has so far hindered any attempt to provide searching by time
coordinate in any general way.  In other words, we need to impliment the
model...

Cheers