Use case analysis for handling data cubes in VO

Igor Chilingarian igor.chilingarian at obs.univ-lyon1.fr
Thu Feb 23 16:33:59 PST 2006

Dear Anita,

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Anita Richards wrote:

> TIME SERIES
>
> The draft appeals for more exampls of data, especially multi-dimensional
> time-series data, which is why this is copied to people who are experts in
> this.  I understand that one problem so far is the lack, in practical use,
> of standardised time formats or tools to convert between formats.  I can't
> believ that it is any more difficult than providing tools for converting
> between the various bizarre celestial coordinates, just that no-one has
> done it yet.

Just as a note:

Another example of multi-dimensional time-series is a spectral variability.

For example, variability of the broad components of emission lines in
Seyfert-I galaxies. There is a large international project, "AGN Watch",
http://www-astronomy.mps.ohio-state.edu/~agnwatch/
dealing with photometric and spectral variability of AGN. They have a unique
data collection for several active galaxies for a period of about 15 years.
The data (absolute flux calibrated optical and UV spectra and multi-band light
curves) are available in .FITS and ASCII formats on the web-site, but
unfortunately, no attempts to build a VO resource for accessing them have been
made.

With best regards,
						Igor