IVOA Simple Line Access Protocol v0.2

Jesus J. Salgado Jesus.Salgado at sciops.esa.int
Fri Feb 10 02:34:17 PST 2006

Hi Doug,

Your approach looks good. Pedro and I were thinking in a similar
approach but using brackets and parenthesis to define domains (in the
same way that is done in standard calculus). For example, using a
notation close to yours:

param=[3:5)

(values in range from 3 to 5, including 3 but not including 5)

param=[3:5],[7:)

(values in range from 3 to 5 including both OR range from 7 to infinite
including 7)

As the "," means "OR" in the final SQL sentence, we have been thinking
if other logical operators are needed, but probably the current
definition is enough, as the "AND" is used more often for the
combination of queries for different parameters, e.g.

param1=[3:5],[7:)&param2=(1000,3000]

means:

(param1 values in range from 3 to 5 including both [OR] range from 7 to
infinite including 7) [AND] (param2 values in range from 1000 to 3000
including 3000)

Depending on the type of variable and the rounding error, the difference
between open and close ranges might be more or less relevant; so
probably, as your approach is easier to parse, we can adopt your
definition for the wavelength range in the SLAP.

Best Regards,
Jesus

--
Jesus J. Salgado

ESAC Science Archive Team
e-mail: Jesus.Salgado at sciops.esa.int
Tel + 34 91 8131271

European Space Agency/European Space Astronomy Centre
VILLAFRANCA Satellites Tracking Station
P.O. Box 50727
E-28080 Villafranca del Castillo
MADRID - SPAIN