DAL sessions in Victoria

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Wed Apr 26 07:32:41 PDT 2006

On Apr 26, 2006, at 2:59 AM, Tony Linde wrote:

>> It is an interesting question for the IVOA whether its scope
>> should include solar and planetary data.  Currently we don't
>
> AstroGrid has always included Solar (& STP, Planetary, ...) in its
> remit
> since the infrastructure is the same regardless of the end users.
> Perhaps
> this could be discussed at the Sunday architecture meeting.
> : Roy?

The same question is coming up with the geographical community
(OpenGIS). We observe that the sphere of the Earth and the celestial
sphere are both spheres. The OpenGIS Web Mapping Server can deliver
images of either. Client = NASA Worldwind, Server = WMS.

I would suggest, in broad terms, that we spend time on
interoperability when (a) technology can be reused, or (b) when
different science communities see a benefit in data federation.

Roy