application/votable+xml

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Tue Jun 1 12:57:48 PDT 2004

Markus,

On 2004 Jun 1 , at 18.23, Markus Dolensky wrote:

> application/votable+xml

I for one agree, with the qualification below.

> For an explanation why to use "+" as a delimiter, why to append "+xml"
> to the subtype and what would happen if one decided to choose a
> different solution see the discussion and examples in "XML Media
> Types" (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt).

The general RFC for registering MIME types is RFC 2048
<http://www.imc.org/rfc2048>, which is being updated at present (see
<http://www.imc.org/draft-freed-mime-p4>).  The process is long-winded
(as the FITS community is finding out), but doesn't look massively
hard.

I think we should embark on the standardisation process, on the
assumption that the VO is more than a brief fashion.  Specifically, we
don't have to wait until VOTable is `finished', as there's no version
information in the MIME type.

Until that point, however, we should use the `Experimental' MIME
prefix, and should use

x-application/votable+xml

Only registered types should use the version without leading `x-'

> The only irritating bit is that I'm unable to find a mime type list
> that is newer than 3 years. Moreover, IETF does not have a top level
> link to MIME on their home page which is a surprise since supposedly
> IETF is in charge of it(?). This makes we wonder whether either MIME
> is obsolete in some way or maybe I was looking in the wrong place?

The canonical list of MIME types is
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/>.  It's not mentioned in
RFC2048, but is in the draft update -- I agree the IANA and the IETF
should have a more prominent link to it.

I believe Microsoft will tell you that MIME is obsolete, and that their
DIME is the very thing to replace it with.  This view is... not widely
held.

I hope this helps,

Norman

---
Norman Gray
http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/
Physics and Astronomy, University of Glasgow, UK
norman at astro.gla.ac.uk