application/votable+xml

Markus Dolensky Markus.Dolensky at eso.org
Tue Jun 1 10:23:14 PDT 2004

Hi Doug,

During the SSA interface discussion in Boston last week the question arose how
a (pseudo) mime-type for VOTable should look like. After some investigation my
conclusion is:

application/votable+xml

For an explanation why to use "+" as a delimiter, why to append "+xml" to the
subtype and what would happen if one decided to choose a different solution see
the discussion and examples in "XML Media Types"
(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt).

Similar recommended types are for instance:
application/xslt+xml, application/rdf+xml, application/mathml+xml

The only irritating bit is that I'm unable to find a mime type list that is
newer than 3 years. Moreover, IETF does not have a top level link to MIME on
their home page which is a surprise since supposedly IETF is in charge of
it(?). This makes we wonder whether either MIME is obsolete in some way or
maybe I was looking in the wrong place?

Cheers,
Markus