SIA Evolution Proposal

martin hill mchill at dial.pipex.com
Fri Apr 16 09:49:45 PDT 2004

If I understand this right, you're saying you want to associate the same data
with several elements.  For example, a set of observations of several thousand
objects might have been carried out using two or three filters.

There is an 'XPointer' concept for XML documents which allows you to do this.
Basically you can describe the filter in some metadata bit, giving it an
attribute 'ID' and assigning it a unique reference.   Then you refer to that ID
in an attribute or element in the main data using the XPointer format.

This is pretty standard now (W3C have adopted it I believe) and seems to solve
what you want; it also means you can happily describe the filter in as much
detail as you like without having it all replicated throughout the list.

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Hill