SIA evolution proposal

Pedro Osuna posuna at iso.vilspa.esa.es
Fri Apr 16 08:29:17 PDT 2004

Dear all,

we have the feeling that the discussion here is more on the line of
whether the SIAP should allow for structure or not. This is not the
point we were addressing in our note.

At the AVO demo, we were asked to include some structure in our SIAP
results, and the note we have sent proposes a solution to include _any_
type of hierarchy (not an explicit one) in them.

If the IVOA decides not to put any hierarchy in the SIAP results, fine
for us. It seemed, however, logical to us to evolve the SIAP in the
direction of the Data Model.

On the other hand, in the examples we are discussing, Alberto wanted to
model different observations for the same filter, and however it seems
to end up asking to _not_ include any hierarchy, as flat structure is
preferred which, in our view, implies repetition. Then, it is the client
who has to be able to _model_ (from a flat table) the structure from a
_not_ known data model. This looks cumbersome to us.

Again, if the question is "should we put structure in SIAP results?"
then it is not us who should answer neither do we claim to be in the
position to impose a specific way to follow.

Cheers,
P&J

--
Pedro Osuna Alcalaya