spectral WCS in FITS

Anita Richards amsr at jb.man.ac.uk
Fri Nov 28 01:54:54 PST 2003

> From: Andreas Wicenec <awicenec at eso.org>
>
> I think we should start with the following concept:

1.
> - Convert FITS binary tables to VOTable with <STREAM> elements or binary
> attachments, i.e. don't touch the binary part, but just describe it.

2.
> - Convert FITS ASCII tables to fully tagged VOTables with <TABLEDATA>
> elements.

Thanks Andreas, that is what I hoped was the case.  As you say below,
there is no point in converting anything more complex entirely to VOTable,
as complex FITS binary data are unusable (or vastly less accessible at
best) in that form any way.

However, to go back to Bob's original question, is there anything in (or
missing from) the WCS Spectral Coordinates document which makes (2.) (or
its reverse) difficult? If not, then I agree with Dave Berry's comment
that we should not force VOTable and FITS to be identical.

best wishes

Anita