spectral WCS in FITS

David Berry dsb at ast.man.ac.uk
Thu Nov 27 11:21:09 PST 2003

> The question is whether we can perform the conversion between VOTable and FITS
> format using off the shelve tools (XSLT). If not we need to write Astronomy
> specific parsers which 'understand' the data whereas we would prefer to apply
> just syntax rules instead.

It will no doubt be possible to use XSLT in many cases. But to say that
it must *always* be possible to transform VOTABLE into FITS (without
loss), using XSLT seems to take away the point of having VOTABLE. If
VOTABLE is not allowed to be anything other than a direct equivalent of
a FITS file, why not just use FITS?

David

Dr David S. Berry    (dsb at ast.man.ac.uk)

STARLINK project		 |	Centre for Astrophysics
(http://www.starlink.ac.uk/)	 |	University of Central Lancashire
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory	 |	PRESTON
DIDCOT				 |	United Kingdom
United Kingdom			 |	PR1 2HE
OX11 0QX