IVOA WG data access layer

Markus Dolensky Markus.Dolensky at eso.org
Fri Apr 4 05:23:31 PST 2003

It was mentioned before, but conceptually VOQL appears to be closer to
an extension of an SQL-kind of query language whereas DAL will deal with
things like

- how to turn info harvested from a registry into a VOQL query
- how to perform transaction management of distributed queries
- error handling
- ?

Consequently, if VOQL returns tabular data then DAL has to have a method
to transfer it to a scratch space where the results from other sub
queries are assembled.

Markus